View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Newness 

I just bought a '64 Falcon Econoline van as a project. It came complete with an engine, transmission, and steering wheel.

Well, it actually has some glass, too, plus an extra driver's door.

All that's missing is wiring, sound body panels below about 10" on down, wheels, axles, interior, wiring, half the windows.

I'm not sure what's in store but I bought the van because it's a blank canvas and has so much potential. I like the mid-mounted engine configuration. This kind of design could turn into a great-handling vehicle if lowered.

So, I look forward to gathering lots of information here. Thanks for letting me onto the forum.

Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:16 pm

Sounds great. What part of the country are you in?

Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:49 am
Profile WWW

So far, I've decided to work on the drivetrain first.

I found a Jaguar independent rear on Craig's List from about a 1987 12-cylinder car. It's posi with a 3.31 ratio and, of course, the inboard disc brakes. You may be surprised, but it fits perfectly, down to the quarter inch, width-wise. The rear frame in my Eco is rotted exactly where the old axle would have been, meaning it would have needed to be cut out anyway. Now, I'll have to build an arch-shaped frame kick to accommodate the Jag rear's cage. It's real do-able.

I have a Ford ZF 5-speed transmission out of a 1991 F-250. It's rated at 420 lbs-ft of torque, so I shouldn't break it right away. I'll have to fab up some kind of cable shifter for it...could get complicated.

I'm gathering pieces for the engine now: a turboed 300 i6. When I put the engine, trans and rear together, the van should have about a 52/48 front/rear weight ratio.

Front suspension will be a Mustang II aftermarket affair. Just working on the funds for that one now...

The Colorado weather is unpredictable so I'll probably concentrate on my indoor projects for a few months, but I'll keep you posted.

Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]