View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 62 Club Wagon Engine & Transmission Swap 

I just picked up a 62 Club Wagon Van for my next project & I'm wanting to put in a fuel injected 302 & switch over to a automatic transmission. Has anyone done this swap before. I currently have a fuel injected 302/5.0 in my 63 Falcon sedan that I rebuilt with a 5 speed & love it! Any suggestions & input on this swap would be appreciated. Thanks!

Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:07 pm

You need the short tailstock for the automatic. This can be found on any 1964 to 1967 Econoline automatic. If you don't get the short tailstock, then you need to make a special, very short drive shaft.

Use a 1965-1967 engine cross bar instead of the flimsy motor mounts in the 1962. You will need extra brackets to weld to the frame to allow you to bolt in the new cross bar. People sell these.

There are people who convert the manual shift column into an automatic one. Or you could keep the manual shift column and just guess where the gears are.

Which rear axle do you have? The 7.25" integral carrier axle will not hold up to pounding it with a V8. Identify the 7.25" axle by the removable cover on the rear of the axle. You need the 9" removable carrier axle. This has a cover that faces the front of the van. The axle width was unique to the Econoline, so you need to get one from a 1963 to 1967 Econoline. 3.0 or 3.5 would be good gear ratios for your V8.

Get an Econoline radiator that came with a 1965-1967 240 engine. It should be big enough to cool your V8 and will have the inlet and outlet on the right sides. A powerful electric fan is needed to cool the radiator.

You should look for the larger dog house from a 1965-1967 Econoline. The dog house in your 1962 may not be large enough to fit the V8 and still be able to change the spark plugs.

The easiest Econolines to convert to a 302 are the 1965-1967 that came with a 240.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:23 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]