View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 speedometer drive gear 

Does anybody know where I can get a new speedo drive gear (the one inside the transmission not on the cable)? I have a 1962 pickup with a 3sp. Also I am unsure of what tranny I have. The tag reads U-3-C4
L-80-A
I am not sure where the casting numbers are. What other tranny will fit? When looking at images of 3.03 trannys they all seem to have a long tail shaft wanting a crossmember for a mount. Are the short tail shaft trannys exclusive to econolines? What about a rear axle? I have a nearby junkyard going out of business selling real cheap with all pre 70's (no econolines though) so a used tranny would be as cheap as speedo gear, rear bearing, rear seal and gaskets if I knew what tranny would work.
sorry for so many ?'s, and thanks DW

Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:07 am

The Econolines were the only one with the short tail stock.

The 3.03 trans was standard on 1963-1967 Econolines. The 1963-1964 is a direct bolt up. The rear mount on the 1965-1967 is different (better) and you can fabricate one if you can weld.

http://econolineid.com/transmission.php?s=id

Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:30 pm
Profile WWW

thanks for the info. So would I be able to weld a cross member in to support a long tail shaft 3.03 tranny? The reason I ask is that I haven't seen any part of the under carriage that looks strong enough, or thick enough to to weld to.

Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:11 pm

Take a look at the engine crossmember for a 1965-1967 Econoline to get an idea. Some have used the engine crossmember to create a transmission crossmember, or you could make one out of angle iron.

Carolina Driveline is the best at making custom driveshafts.

Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:10 pm
Profile WWW

I'll do that. Thanks B. I have a line on a C3 automatic, you know when you get older it's not much fun shifting gears anymore! Anybody have any experience with these trannys?

Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]