View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 v-8 swap 

hello,
new guy here....what all is involved to swap a v-8 in place of the small six? do you have to cut the sides out of the doghouse? crossmember need to be changed or moved? what about the cooling system. this would be in a pickup.
thanks,
-tim

Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:01 pm

A V8 into a 61 is going to take a bit of doing. You might want to start with the wider early chevy dh and seats, figuring a new rear hanger and swapping to a 9" rearend if not already so equiped. That's all hearsay from me since I have never done the swap.

You might want to consider a later model 200 (direct boltin) and a few upgrades to that. Of course, that is from a small six guy so take it for what it's worth :wink: I can say that my 62 three window will go as fast as the law allows with a 200 in it - and get there pretty quick as well.

Jim

Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:39 pm

i am gathering parts for this project right now i'm looking at a 302/aod trans combo, and a 460 is not out of the question....have the chevy doghouse but i think i will keep it for my 65 chevy. looking for more information on the mounting of a v-8 in place of a small six, did econo's ever come with a v-8 from the factory? or what parts will interchange? also did they ever come with a 9" rear end and if so what years do i look for. also how do you determine the year according to the vin#?
thanks!
-tim

Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:04 pm

I don't see the more knowlegable people responding... So I'll jump in and tell you what I know. The swap is not easy in an early Econoline. There are a host of issues. Let's start with the trans. The first automatic became available in 1964. It was a C4 with an extremely short tail stock. To my knowledge, it is the only one that can be used in these early models. Unlike any other trans setup, this one is suspended from above using a single doughnut mount.
You will also need special engine mounting arms. Eugene at Blue Oval Engineering supplied these. But I hear that he passed away recently. So I don't know about availability.
As far as the 9" rear... 65 to 67 Heavy Duty Econolines came equipped with 9" rears. 200's are the cleanest upgrade. No metal cutting. Stock parts available. I planned on a complete drivetrain swap using a built 200 and a 9" rear. I am going with a stock 200 and may keep my existing rear. I may be selling the built 200 and 9" rear. Check the engine description in my recent post in this section.

Good luck!

JerseyJim

Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:58 pm

I just pick up a new project.
1965 Econoline pick up.
It hasn't run since 1990 and the engine is a wreck. Never seen an engine with so much corrosion in it. It will have to be replaced.

Have a couple quick questions.
Is the engine removed by dropping out the bottom of the truck or out through the door? I've seen Vans removed through the side doors not sure on a pick up.

I've seen photo of V8 on this web site. Some look like the Dog house is the stock one. As for the Chevy Doghouse what year would I look for?

Later

Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:40 pm
Profile WWW
Lead Flunky

I remove the passengers seat, doghouse and radiator and take the engine out through the door, always had plenty of room and haven't scratched anything yet :)

If I remember correctly any of the 60's chev vans would work.

Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:59 pm
Profile WWW

You do not have to go with an 8 to make good power and lots of horses. There is a source in AZ that will soon be offering crate motors either 200 or 250 with your choice of horsepower, expected to be up to 300hp.

The new aluminum head for these two motors should be available any time now and with a wide range of cams, headers(6 into 2 or 6 into 1), DUI distributors, roller or roller tipped rockers there is a lot you can do with the 6. Most of the parts you need are available now and the head soon. By summer the crates should be available.

www.classicinline.com or ford six performance

Jim Reese

Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:33 am
Profile WWW

I had the URL incorrect, here is the link

http://www.classicinlines.com/

Jim Reese

Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:35 am
Profile WWW

Thanks to all for the info.
I have to admit I'm and old Chevy guy and don't know that much about the older Ford 6 cylinders. The only dislike I have with the inline 6s is the intigrated intake.

So more questions.
I have the 170 CID 6. I understand that the 200 CID 6 is a direct bolt in.
I've looked up the 200, and is see two types. 4 or 6 bolt bell housing. Which one would I need?

Second. Do all the small 6s have the intigrated intake? If so is there a head from another Ford 6 that will bolt on or is an after market head the only option.

Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:55 pm
Profile WWW

If you are not in a huge hurry to get done the URL in my previous post will give you the information on the new head for the small six. It does away with the problem of the intigrated head/intake on the 170, 200 and 250 six. It is an all new aluminun head and will be offered complete with valves, guides, springs retainers, etc.

Soon some new intakes will be offered and cams, headers and other accessories are already available.

Check out www.classicinlines.com/ or write to Mike.

Good luck and check it out. It could be a way cool and unique engine in a way cool and unique truck.

Jim Reese

Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:39 am
Profile WWW

Tim,I can guide you with the v8 swap and help you get any parts neded locally. I ve got most of them in my private stash. Just gimme a call at 859-512-0105 on my cell.

Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:00 pm

I know these are old posts but just trying to re energize them. Swapping a V* into these econolines is very very easy. They have lots of room to work around and lend themselves to easy fabrication. I had my 302 and AOD in and running in one weekend.

kgdb

Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:55 pm

One weekend is very quick. Did you have any overheating issues. Depending on the year or vehicle theres a lot of work that needs to be done so you must have been balls to the wall on your install. The real concern is how proper the install was. It pays in the long run to do it right the 1st time.

Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:37 am

One weekend is very quick. Did you have any overheating issues. Depending on the year or vehicle theres a lot of work that needs to be done so you must have been balls to the wall on your install. The real concern is how proper the install was. It pays in the long run to do it right the 1st time.

Agreed and wouldnt have it anyother way. I have done many many swaps over the years, street rods and hot rods were there was very little to no room. The econolines have lots of room to play with and remember a 302 is pretty narrow.

kgdb

Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:41 pm

Can be easy, may or may not be depending on year model and what existing driveline parts are in it. If you do any V8 swap at all stick w/ a 289 or 302 to keep it clean, reliable and milage friendly. Dont bother w/a 6 cly. bigger than 200 if you have a 170 type now. Call or Email drecono6167@aol.com Terry (919) 231-0020.

Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]