View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 general chit chat and talk 

I recently purchased a 1965 econo p/u.
I want to replace the 7.25 and install a 9".
Is there a preferred 9" ford model and year that matches drum to drum width and center to center leaf springs without a lot of modifications and most of all, aggravation?
If there is a member or someone you know in South East Florida who has one, please let me know.
Thanks.
Dennis Wagner

Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:10 am

The 9" rear axle from a 1963-1967 Econoline is the only one that is the same width, and will bolt in easily.

See all the variations here
http://www.econolineid.com/axle.php?s=code

The center section with the gears can swap out with any 9" rear.

Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:52 pm
Profile WWW

Well here it is a new year and I haven't posted any garbage for a long time. The Ol Econorat is sitting quietly in the shop waiting for me to show it some attention. I know I promised pictures a couple of years past. But…….. wife's camera quit, don't have the right cord to download pictures off my phone, been busy, no… scratch that last excuse, not busy. I can't think of anything else, oh wait, it's really, really cold
outside!!
Anyway, Econorat runs, drives, wins 2nd place ratrod trophies at local car shows, so I can't complain. It does need a couple of things done before the long trips this summer. Don't use a solid transmission
mount, and rubber engine mounts together. You get really funny noises from the rear of the truck when you let up on the gas! Yea, a chatter that sounds like something wants out! We'll take care of that!
And the transmission fluid leak, which I hope is just the pan gasket. If not, probably the shifter shaft seal, and that ain't as easy. I sure do like that AOD tranny though, she just idles down the road! I haven't
checked gas mileage yet, as I don't have a speedo/ odometer. Gonna go with a GPS type as my speedo head isn't any good & would also need a longer cable.

I'm still considering a 4 to 5 inch top chop. I see pictures of econoline pickups chopped, but no one offers a how to on u-tube or anyplace else. I've been doing a lot of research and found a couple of older cars
that are similar, but still enough different to keep me from getting out the sawsall. Econorat is a three window so that simplifies it a little, and I do have another pickup for parts, so it could happen regardless.
Enough for now! HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE!!!!! MS

Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]