View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Compression questions 

Hi All, Went to sell my beast, but all of sudden it won't start...Did all the electrical checks everything there works, fuel supply great, it cranks and good oil pressure, but will not light off. Now this engine has around 8 hours running time on it only since it wa rebuilt two years ago. So I am thinking the worst that maybe the head gasket is blown. So I check the compression and I get the following plus or mins 8 psi, 120 psi in all cylinders. Now the repair manual says 150 to 200 psi.for 240. I have over sized pistons due to previous wear on the cylinders that were installed when I rebuilt it. Would this lower the compression ratio? This came out of the blue. The truck was running fine Friday. Any help would be greatfully appreciated, I am about at wits end. Please contact me either by email hwmerc@yahoo.com or by phone if you want 1-661-946-0523

66 P'up
66 Super Van

Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:36 am

For a cold, dry compression test 120 ain't to bad. My guess is it is fire or fuel that is causing your problem, especially since it is a 'sudden' no start.

Jim

Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:25 pm

On friday and sat. when I was trying to get it started, the coil was bad so I didn't get a powerful enough spark to start, I had a bad coil, so what I did was super flooded the engine. Every time I tried again to start it it got more flooded. So I talked to a rebuilder and he suggested not only checking the compression which was good, but to air out the cylinders for a couple of hours and repalace the spark plugs. Apparently in my trying to start the beast, I fuel fouled the plugs. So I got new plugs and let the cylinders air out for a couple of hours and installed new plugs and it started first time crank . I feel so much better :D :D

66 P'up
66 Super Van

Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:28 pm

Glad it worked out well for you. Sure can take a load off your mind when they finally fire off :) .

Jim

Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]