View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Front end drop? 

looking to get some drop at the front of my 63 PU and wanted to ask if anyone has knowledge of a source for drop axels that will readily fit.Any leads would be much appreciated.....thanks :?: :?: :?:

Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:32 pm

Non to my knowledge but I am no expert. I do know that Econoline Herb in Florida has done it by mounting the axle above the springs? or some such. Anybody remember how Herb does it? Please remember that if you change the geometry on a flying brick it behaves differently - or so I have heard.

Jim

Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:51 pm

Well I am sticking with a 200 c. i. 6 so velocity shouldn't be too great an issue, and yes I am aware of the pitfalls of poorly considered changes in vehicle dynamics, especially when the vehicle in question if not really built for speed.That is one reason why I am goin' with the 6. The weight and torque associated with a V8 seems to me to be a recipe for disaster.

Nonetheless a properly lowered car(within limits) is usually a more stable car(truck?) or so I am told(center of gravity,polar moment ot inertia, and all that)but a word of caution is always appreciated.

Of course I am not lowering the truck just to improve dynamics, I am doin' it to look COOL. Otherwise I'd just drive my Civic sedan everywhere.

So as I am probably going to it, the question that remains is how? 8)

Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:01 pm

Flipping the springs/axles is a lot of work and it lowers it too much in my opinion. Simple way to slightly lower is smaller tires like 13". If you desire more I suggest dearch the springs for best option. You can remove leaves but you better research that option first. Removing springs makes the ride worse and it bottoms out easier. Read Terry Bogus's post at the Dodge A100 site in which recently just this week talked about the differences in springs and removing leaves. Its not as simple as you may think.

Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:42 pm
Lead Flunky

Get in touch with any of the straight axle manufacturers for street rods.
I have talked with them in the past about an axle for a gasser project and they were more than willing to build any drop/width axle I needed, of course the $$$$ were the final deciding factor.
One axle to my specs with no spindles etc was in the $600 range.
I have removed a leaf to get a bit of drop and as Tim said a lower profile/ smaller tire size works as well. Just depends on the look your going for.

Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:34 am
Profile WWW

Thanks for all the input, though I don't know of any racing axel fabricators I will keep looking.While I wouldn't say that money is no object I am prepared to spend some.I would rather go with the $$$ route then shabby engineering.Ideally I would like an axel that would allow me to use the stock spindles.

Removing a spring, rearching etc may add up to enough,I am looking to go to about 2.5+ inches at the front, about 2 in the back if I can do so without screw'n things up.An axel would be the best approach.

I plan to go with disc brakes up front, even though I am only going to use a 200 C/I 6, I like to be able to STOP! So 13 inch wheels are probably not an option.Besides I already bought wheels/tires that I would like to use, they are 15 inch chrome smoothies with 215/60 TAs.I AM a little concerned about tramlining/bumpsteer though with the wide rubber.

ANYONE KNOW THE PHONE # FOR MOREDROP????

We are planning to go to Billetproof tomorrow, our favorite!

Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:23 pm

AHA! It's MOR-DROP, just found the # and will call Monday(anyone want that # let me know).From what I gather they will modify my stock axel to get the desired drop.

Now I just gotta do sumthin bout that steering arm.Once I get the drop done the rest is Apple Pi. Well there is the matter of fitting that Be Cool Alum radiator that I found new on craigslist for an early Ford Mustang 6 (for $140!).It's always sumthin.

Hmmmmmm.
BTW:
Got the windshield and back light installed in my 63 Futura Hardtop today.HOT DAM!I know it ain't no Econoline but it's gonna be one fine little Falcon.

Thanks again for the input.

Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:49 pm

I was asking the other day if anyone knew what material the front axel of the early Econolines is made of. Well I found out.

Forged steel, means it can be welded on.

I though that if there was anyone else out there who was a wonder'n this might help as it does mean more options for mods.

Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:43 pm

So how did you end up doing it , how much of a drop did you get and do you have any pics.

Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]