View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Need to find a 7/7.25 rear end for a 61 Cargo Van 

The 1965 240 motor van's transmission will not fit my 144 bell housing. As I need a drive train for my 61, I need to find a trans that will fit my bell housing and mate up with the u joints of the drive shaft of the 9 inch rear end. Either that or I need to find a replacement 7 inch rear end, with 3.50 gears, or an axle for the rear end to replace the damaged axle in the rear end already in the van. What vehicles would have the 7 inch rear axle I could use, as finding 61 or that age van is impossible. I am in the Salem, OR area, so any locals that can assist me is greatly appreciated.
John in Salem,OR

Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:59 pm

I have a 7 1/4 rear here that I took out of my 62 pu. You are welcome to any or all of it. Unfortunately, I am in Stockton, CA which is a bit of a drive for you. Given the number of 9'' swaps that take place hopefully someone in your are will have what you need.

Jim

Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:27 pm

Thanks for repying but Stockton is just a little further than I was planning on.

John

Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:01 pm

John,

Couldn't tell from your post... But I wouldn't use a 240 with the small rear. I have a 63 with a 200 and a C4. It's a sweet combination. I used my original small rear with 3.50 gears from a 66 six cylinder Mustang. A better choice for gears would be an earlier Falcon. The Mustang has larger U-Joints that impact the size of the pinion shaft and hence the ID of the seal.

Good luck with the truck.

JerseyJim

Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]