View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Another new Econoline owner.... 

Hi
Just thought i would sign up and introduce myself. I have recently purchased a 1964 Econoline Travel-wagon from California. It should be about half way through its 8000 mile sea crossing to the UK about now.

I haven't got any good photos, but here are the ones that were on the Ebay advert...

Image[/img]

As you can see, its not quite finished, but 'm hoping that most of the parts that are missing are with the van. We'll have to wait and see when it arrives....

These vans are extremely rare over here, so there are no parts available, and i know absolutely nothing about them. I have had an American car before though, i sold this a few weeks ago to make room for the Econo...

I can't wait to see the new van, and i'm sure i will have LOADS of questions for you all on here, so please be patient with my lack of knowledge...

Does anybody know what the biggest sizes of wheels are that will fit on my new van without having to do any mods to the bodywork...? Also, i'm hoping to buy the front disc conversion kit that is mentioned on this forum, so the new wheels will have to clear those as well....

Thanks in advance

Regards
Sy

Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:17 pm

Welcome! I find it a challenge getting parts in Canada, but I admire what you did with the Stang in the UK! There is a good community of 1st gen Econoline owners, here and on a couple other forums. If you ever find that you aren't finding the info you need and would like other info resources, drop me a line! Cheers, Corey

Show the "Car Guys" by joining the Vanners Group on CarDomain

Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:18 am

Thanks Corey, its quiet on here isn't it...?

I don't have too much info about the van as yet, only that its a non-runner, i'm just hoping that it's nothing too serious...!!

Just had a read through your project, looks like you have some work to do as well.... Love the couch in the back.... :D

Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:48 pm

Oh my. That looks nice. What a dramatic difference in horsepower from the Stang! Pease, keep us posted on when she arrives. Do you know details of the engine size and trans. A shop manual is a must for any Econo owner. If you need an old used one to get greasy, they can be had for about $15 to $20. Your going to have a blast! You do realize don't you, that whenever you drive that thing you will have to allow extra time to get to you destination? People will want to talk every time you stop.

Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:04 pm
Profile WWW

I don't know much about the van other than that the previous owner has done a restoration on it, it looks good in the piccies, but who knows.

The engine has been rebuilt, but i don't yet know the size of it. According to the people who collected it in the States, they have put it down as a non-runner, but i don't know any more than that. Unfortunately the guy i bought it off in the States wasn't a very good communicator...!!!

It is due to arrive in the UK next Thursday 21st August, after an 8000 mile crossing which has taken 5 weeks...!! Some people think i'm mad, but i can't wait to get it. We actually went and viewed a 1967 Econoline over here before we bought this one. It was completely rotten, but we fell in love with it, so had to buy one.....!!! Apparently, there are only about 4 in this country, and i haven't found any other owners yet...

We are actually going on Honeymoon next Friday, the day after it docks, so we won't get to see the van until we return in 2 weeks, as it needs time to clear customs and for us to pay all the import duties and tax, which is another $4000 or so....!!! In total, it has already cost us about $13,000, and i plan to spend some more on some chunky wheels and a disc brake conversion, plus possibly an LPG conversion as well....

It will still work out cheaper than buying an equivalent VW splitscreen, and it will be much cooler....!!!

The previous owner has filled the van with all sorts of spare parts and stuff, so i'm hoping there may already be a manual in there, if not i'll look at buying one off Ebay...

Regards
Sy

Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:34 am

I've just heard that my van has cleared customs in the UK. As soon as the payment is cleared on Monday i can have the vehicle picked up. Can't wait to see it now, hope its ok...!!!

www.frankenstein-minis.co.uk

Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:54 pm

Great news! Cant wait to see the some pics. Congratulations on your NEW van!

Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:04 pm
Profile WWW

OK, so the van arrived in one piece (just...!!!!)

Here are a few piccies...

As you can see, the van is a travelwagon, with the aluminium camper roof. This was intact when it left California, but has been pretty much destroyed whilst on the back of the delivery truck. It has torn and bent all over the place....

Apart from that it looks like a really solid van, i'm really pleased with it. Not too worried about the roof, as it looks like it was a horrible idea to start with. Hopefully i'll be abloe to fit something off a VW camper...

Sy

Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:10 am

How on Gods green Earth did they do all that damage to the top? Will you be reimbursed for the damage? Will she run yet?

Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:40 am
Profile WWW

The top obviously wasn't fully secured. Whilst on the back of the low loader the wind has obviously been strong enough to blow the roof off. It is still hinged at the back, but isn't attached at all at the front.

There are some big chips and scratches on the rear doors where the roof has hit the back of the van, so it must have blown completely over the back...

There is a $1000 excess on the insurance, so its not worth chasing to be honest. Looking at the leftovers of the roof, it doesn't look to be a very good system anyway. Its a shame, because its an original feature, but i can hopefully get something much better fitted instead.

As for running, it is now running really well. I spent quite a bit of time checking everything over before i tried to start it. The carburettor was leaking fuel out of one of the pumps, and the choke was disconnected. Also, the engine has no dipstick, so i had to drain the oil out and measure it...!!!

Once i had dons all the checks, i connected the battery and tested the electrics. Apart from the supply to the solenoid and the coil, absolutely nothing works. No lights, heater ,wipers, gauges etc. So i proceeded to atempt a start, and it fired up immediately. It sounds like its running really well now, i can't wait to take it out for a drive. It will be a while yet though, as i have now removed all the wiring from the car. It was a bit past its best, so i will be making a new wiring loom in due course...

This is the entire wiring loom:

Plus what is left of the dash:

I have already binned the dynamo, and fitted an alternator instead. Also, the van now has UK legal headlights and sidelights, as well as the correct coloured front indicators (orange bulbs).

Sy

Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:29 pm

It looks like a very nice van to start with. Most of the messy part is done.

Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:45 pm
Profile WWW

Yeah, the tedious bodywork stuff has mostly been sorted. The rest of it is what i enjoy the most, so i can't wait to get stuck in properly.

Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:57 pm

Been a while, but I see you're back home and digging into it! It looks really good! Good luck with the wiring... mine did that, and I basically jiggled all my connectors to get all the accessories working again... temporary fix... you're in good shape there!

Show the "Car Guys" by joining the Vanners Group on CarDomain

Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:07 pm

Having a few problems with the carb at the moment. The van ran really well at first, but is now suffering from massive overfuelling.

I suspect either an incorrect float level, or some dirt has found its way into the carb. I have ordered a rebuild kit for the old carb to try and sort it all out...

Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:34 am

ME too! i'm in the UK! where are you based?

Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]