View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Jaguar Rear End 

This sounds like a fish story, but it's true.

I was cruising Craig's List for a Jaguar rear end for my '64 Eco Van because the complete front and rear suspension from mine had already been pirated and I thought that since I had to replace everything, why not shoot for the moon?

It turns out that a guy had been saving a Jag rear for a project but he thought he'd never get around to using it, so it was up for sale for $350.

When I checked it out, it was from one of the V12 Jags, meaning limited slip and 3.31 gears. Of course, you get disc brakes, independent suspension and almost the exact same weight as the 9-inch that came with the van.

Speaking of the van's 9-inch...remember that I said it had been pirated? Well, the axle from mine had not left the building yet, it turns out. Since it was only a few cars away in the lot, I measured it: something like 61" wide.

The Jag rear was 61" wide, too. Too good to be true? It honestly looks like it's going to be a perfect swap with the tires centered in the rear tubs.

It looks like someone had placed a beam or log under the rear part of the frame on my van because there is about 8" of rot right in the center where the axle would have been. In other words, the part I would need to cut out of the frame and re-do anyway is the part that has to be cut and reworked to make the Jag rear end fit.

I'll get some pictures going soon.

Next step: find a good Mustang II front IFS since the beam axle is gone from my van already.

Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:30 pm

This is sweet. Very interesting. Please update when you can. I love this kind of stuff.

Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:45 am
Profile WWW

Hmmm, finally updating this thread ...

... I'm actually ditching the van project because I found a pickup that I really wanted, so the Jag' rear will go in the pickup instead.

Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:31 pm

Did the Jag swap work? I'm very interested is seeing pictures and learning of the details. We may be interested in doing something similar.

Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:00 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]