View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Drive shaft 

Hello,
I picked up a 63 econoline thats been sitting since 86, with motor prep and cleaning fuel tank, she purrrs really nice. My question is the drive shaft wasn't connected to the rear end, and when I went to put it together, the U joint floats in the u joint hardware, its like it is an inch too short to actually fit into the yoke. it reaches the yoke, it just isn't wide enough to fit into the rear end yoke. The original owner is dead, wife has no idea, I will search the internet to see what I can find out also, but Im new here thank you for your time, talk more later, any reference numbers or pics with help

thanks again

Kevin

Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:17 pm
Lead Flunky

just a guess, possible you have a u-joint for the small 7 1/4 rear end and trying to put it in a larger 9" rear end yoke?

Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:37 am
Profile WWW

that might be or probably the case, when I picked it up the drive shaft was wired to the frame. will have to check it out. idles incredible, just want to drive it.
thanks
any idea on where to get the right drive shaft?

Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:40 pm
Lead Flunky

I have measured both the drive shaft yoke and the rear axle yoke and been able to get ujoints at our local Napa.
They have joints that are different sizes on each cross section.

Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:45 pm
Profile WWW

the rear end yoke measurements are 3.25" and drive shaft is 2.5" went through all of Chief auto's U-joints and found nothing. Im planning on putting in a C4 from a 77 Maverick so will have to get a different drive shaft, and fabricate a cross member bar, but wanted to drive it before that ... so can I change the yoke on the rear end to match the 2.5 u joint and still run the 3 speed manual?

original owner is dead and the son knows nothing about it.

the local Napa closed and the nearest will have to be a drive a guess

will wait for replies

thank you in advance

Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:00 am

You can't put a small yoke on the big rear end.
There are two shafts on eBay right now, but one is the same as yours, and the other is for the automatic.

This guy is selling a driveshaft, but does not mention which axle it goes to. You are looking for a 9" rear axle driveshaft.
http://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t36194-parts-from-my-new-project

The 9" rear axle was the optional axle on the heavy duty vans from 1963-1967.

Vic in California will have them. I don't have his e-mail address handy. He goes by Old Skool on several Econo discussion boards. I don't think I've seen him here.

EconoUSAparts is in KY might have one. econousaparts@fuse.net

Here is info about the two axles and how to tell them apart.
http://econolineid.com/axle.php?s=code

Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:48 pm
Profile WWW

The automatic that came in these vans had a special short output shaft in order to keep the driveshaft as long as possible. If you can find the rear cover and output shaft from a 1964-1967 Econo, you can swap them out on your Maverick transmission. If you get the cover from a 1964, then the top mount should connect fairly easily to your frame.

Or you can use the Maverick transmission as it is and have a custom short driveshaft made. Carolina Driveline is the best. Then you will need some kind of cross member to hold it up. Some have made one from a 1965-1967 engine cross member. Vic (Old Skool) makes the whole kit you need.

Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:01 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]