View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 General chit chat & talk 

I've been workin on the "Econorat" dilegently, but it seems things take longer when you get old. That and somebody always has something for you to do. Anyway, I can,t wait to get some pictures up to show off my
beautiful "61". Well, beautiful to me.
Does anyone know of a good bodyman that would or has chopped the top on the pickup? I've been contemplating this for some time and after the ole rat proves herself, we may go that route.
Thanks for any info!!!

Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:58 pm
Lead Flunky

Good body guys that can do stuff like that are getting harder to find now-a-days.
I hear ya on the things take longer as you age, been trying to get my disc brakes installed, rear brakes redone, full tune-up and a good scrubbing in and out. Everytime I turn around my "to do" list for other stuff seems to just keep getting longer, they should rename it to "you'll never get caught up" list.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:07 pm
Profile WWW

I've been workin on the ole "EconoRat" still, somemore & alot. Got most of the rust taken care of, in the process of installin a l/h rear corner patch panel I got from "Mac's". We're goin gas tank filler delete,
as my tanks are in the bed on both sides in front of the w/w's. Got to go to the big city (Lincoln) some time soon& finish cutting the slots in my new grille. I keep crossing things off my things to do list, thinking I'm gettin somewhere, but I end up makin a new list with as many or more things to do. O well, it keeps me out of the bar! I'm hopein to get it to start, run & drive on & off the trailer for a couple of local car shows this summer
here in Nebraska. We'll put it in the unfinished or "ratrod" class for now as it's gonna take the rest of the summer to finish it. Gotta lot of ideas, but she's gonna have to prove herself before we spend the big bucks!
Like I said before, when we get closer I'll post some pictures. Enough B.S. Later, Mustang Slim.

Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:07 pm

MS, are you a good welder. It really isnt that hard to do a top chop. My buddy and I did my 64 F-100 and it came out pretty good for 2 guys not knowing what they were doing. Lots of measuring and taking notes and lots of pics go along with doing it slow and not getting in a hurry

Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:35 am

Thanks for the encouragement Kid, I have given it some thought. I have another pickup I aquired recently, (bought a tailgate & the pickup was attatched!). I could practice on it as it is not so good of shape.
Yes, I can weld, as it was my profession when I was younger. What I need is an Oklahoma blueprint, no offence meant to you Oakies! I've been searching on the net for pictures, but not too many good ones
available. Anyway, right now we're just trying to work the bugs out, it made it around the block acouple of times last week. I need to purchase a kickdown cable to get the AOD to shift right & alittle more bodywork to make it presentable in primer. Later !

Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:12 am

I can send you some pics of the one we did. It really isnt that big of a deal if you take your time and plan it all out. I was terrified when we started but after the first cut it got easier,LOL.

Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:36 am

Hello Kid! That would be fantastic if you could show me some pictures. It would give me a place to start. I've studied this for some time & come up with a couple of ways to
chop it. But I'll always listen to another method.
Right now I'm fighting the overheating & leaking problems. The addition of an electric fan & an air dam underneath to cause a low pressure area to help pull the air through may help.
The 351w has a stock rebuild (low compression) & it has a Speedway Motors aluminum radiator, so it shouldn't be that hard to cool. I've got the overdrive to work good now so we should be "cruzin" !
We'll post some pictures soon!!! MS

Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:01 am

whats your e mail and I will send some pics

Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:25 pm

KID,
Send those CHOP pics to me also.

Thanks, SMITTY
chevvymann@yahoo.com

That's 2 v's in chevvy and 2 n's in mann

Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:16 am

will do, I have been looking at the side and front view of the Econos and I believe you will need another roof and another set of door tops to do the chop, The top of the door opening will widen some and the top of the roof will have to be wider so that is why you will need another roof, you will need to quarter them both and then overcut the front left and right rear on one and the opposite corners on the other

Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:10 pm

Hey Kid!
I'd like to give you my E-mail address but I don't know how to without posting it here on the forum. I get enough junk now, so I don't give it out too often. Is there another way to do it?
M.S.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:57 pm
Lead Flunky

MustangSlim wrote:
Hey Kid!
I'd like to give you my E-mail address but I don't know how to without posting it here on the forum. I get enough junk now, so I don't give it out too often. Is there another way to do it?
M.S.

Just click the little box along the bottom of his post that has a "PM" on it, that will send him a private message.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:32 am
Profile WWW

Thanks!!!! Chief Econonut!! M.S.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]